Formula 1 star Max Verstappen extends F1 contract with Red Bull

- 516 words
Four-time Formula 1 champion Max Verstappen has extended his contract with Red Bull to 2030, he and the team announced Thursday.
The announcement ahead of Verstappen’s home Dutch Grand Prix this weekend ends speculation he could seek a blockbuster move to another team. It comes despite Red Bull struggling to match the pace of leading team Mercedes this season.
“I have always said it: the team is like a second family for me and I feel very at home. I came to the team hoping to be able to win races. What we went on to achieve together has been simply lovely and we have shared many incredible moments and won four world championships,” he said in a statement.
“To continue this journey with the same team that I have been with my whole career is really special and something I have always wanted to do.”
Verstappen, already considered one of F1’s all-time greats at the age of 28, has yet to win a race this season. The 71-time race winner hasn’t had a winless season since his rookie year in 2015.
Verstappen’s previous contract ran through 2028 but reportedly included performance-related clauses which could have potentially allowed him to leave earlier and which fueled speculation he might seek to move.
He had also questioned whether he’d stay in F1 at all, saying he’d like more time with his family as his frustration grew with the 2026 F1 cars’ reliance on electrical battery power.
Red Bull backed Verstappen’s career from childhood and brought him into F1 at the age of 17 in 2015 at its second team, then called Toro Rosso. That made him the youngest driver in series history, a record he still holds.
Still, there had been signs of tension in recent years amid the departures of a series of key staff including longtime leader Christian Horner last year and car design great Adrian Newey.
In his comments Thursday, Verstappen praised a “great” year with Laurent Mekies in charge after Horner was fired, and said he sensed a “clear vision” for the future of the team.
Verstappen also raised safety concerns this season after two separate faults with the Red Bull car’s rear wing hurled him into high-speed crashes.
Verstappen had been linked with a move to McLaren after reports of a meeting in June between his representatives and McLaren management. McLaren chief executive Zak Brown said at the team the team didn’t have an opening for him and would stick with Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri.
One driver who had been considered a potential replacement for Verstappen at Red Bull, Carlos Sainz Jr., signed a new contract on Wednesday with Williams.
Share this:
- Share on X (Opens in new window) X
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
- Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
- Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
- Share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest
- Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
- Share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
Related
Author
Related Posts
Raiders QB Kirk Cousins explains latest practice dustup: ‘My elbow got hit’ | Latest NFL News, Analysis & Updates
Cousins and Crosby caused a skirmish in camp earlier in August after the two exchanged heated comments following a similar incident in...
Read out all
Barzani calls for enhanced air defense for Kurdistan Region to counter drone attacks – Al-Monitor
Barzani calls for enhanced air defense for Kurdistan Region to counter drone attacks Al-Monitor Iraqi Kurdish PM Barzani’s office targeted in drone attack Al...
Read out all
Khloé Kardashian’s New Reality Show Faces Fan Backlash Before Premiere
Khloé Kardashian hasn’t even premiered her new reality show yet, but some fans are already questioning whether it’s going to be a...
Read out all
Pirates Acquire Christian Bethancourt – MLB Trade Rumors
The Yankees have traded catcher Christian Bethancourt to the Pirates for cash considerations, according to announcements from both clubs. Trades are allowed...
Read out all
Buy, Sell or Hold the Stock?
Eli Lilly and Company‘s LLY stock has risen 5.8% since it announced solid second-quarter results on Aug. 5. Lilly’s earnings and revenues comfortably...
Read out all
Iran and UAE ties sour, and other major developments in the Middle East – AP News
Iran and UAE ties sour, and other major developments in the Middle East AP News UAE imposes indefinite trade embargo on Iran over...
Read out all